Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Prep

Lately I have been doing quite a bit of food prep on Sunday afternoons. This goes hand-in-hand with trying to eat more whole foods/less sugar. Having healthy food ready to go makes it much easier to avoid just grabbing a bowl of chocolate chips and calling it dinner. Not that I, umm, ever did that *wipes chocolate smudge from chin*.

Roasted tofu. I just toss it with 1 tsp. olive oil, salt and pepper. Easy to throw in anything for some extra protein.


Steel cut oats. Better for me than rolled oats, but take too long to prepare in the morning when I am trying to get everyone out the door. So I make a few days' worth in advance and divide into portions. In the mornings, I pour in some soymilk and a dollop of peanut butter, microwave for a minute, and dig in.


Blueberry waffles. Jackson eats these every morning. (From Isa Does It.)


Roasted chickpeas. Toss with 1 tsp. olive oil, and change up the seasonings. These were seasoned with adobo for a savory flavor.


I also make Tony some kind of grain salad to take for lunch a few days each week, saving us $$ since he doesn't have to go out to eat every day. This week I gave him quinoa and black beans with a cilantro lime dressing.


An oldie-but-goodie that Olivia devours as an after-school snack, Averie's peanut butter chocolate chip protein balls.


Oh She Glows' Glo bars, the only granola bar we make anymore! So easy and good.


Prepping gives me more time to sit down during the week and enjoy my kids in the moment. Like that moment when Olivia dumped out her piggy bank and rolled around in the loose change.


No comments:

Post a Comment