Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Detroit 2014: Day 3

Today we woke up fairly early to visit the Heidelberg Project while Melissa worked a half-day.


This art project has been around for a long time, but this was my first time visiting. Sadly, I almost waited too long. In the past year, there has been a string of arson incidents. You can still see the charred outlines of the homes that burned, and the shrines erected in their memory.


The whole block is decorated, including the pavement.


Jackson and Olivia put on a little television show. 


Some more photos, just so you get an idea of what Heidelberg is.






I love that artists have made something unique and optimistic here, and I hope it can remain.


On our way back to our hotel, we stopped at the Sprout House for fresh veggie juices. You need veggies when traveling! Tony and I asked for the same thing -- kale, spinach, beets, carrots, and extra ginger to make it spicy!


I also bought a giant, vegan oatmeal raisin cookie.


Once we got back to our hotel, we had some time to chill in the swimming pool.


Then we spent the rest of the day with Sean, Melissa, and Miss Izzy. Look at that face! My sweet niece is full of attitude. We had Buddy's pizza for dinner and I think she was annoyed that she couldn't partake, due to not having teeth yet!


Tomorrow: all the German kitsch you can handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment